When we lose weight, where does the fat go?

As we have already mentioned many times in our previous articles, when performing a proper exercise routine and carrying a caloric deficit with healthy meal recipes our body tends to lose weight, but exactly what happens to all the fat that was stored in our body? Unlike what we thought, there are currently several studies that show that when we lose weight, most of the fat is exhaled.

When we lose weight fat is eliminated in several ways

When we spend a little with food and consume excess carbohydrates or proteins, our body stores them in fat reserves, specifically in molecules called triglycerides, which are composed of 3 atoms, oxygen, hydrogen and carbon. For a person to lose weight, triglycerides must go through a decomposition process passing to their basic components already named above, this process is commonly known as oxidation, this is why it should not really be said “burn fat” but oxidize fat.

Myths about what fat is transformed into

According to researchers such as Ruben Meerman and Andrew Brown from the University of New South Wales in Australia, have debunked some of the most famous myths about how fat is transformed and this as many say, it is not “transformed” into energy, heat or muscles, nor is it divided into smaller portions to then be excreted as many claim.

So where does the fat go?

When our body “burns fat”, that is, a triglyceride molecule is oxidized, the process consumes several of the oxygen molecules while CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and H20 (Water) are produced, during the weight loss process, 84% of the fat is converted into carbon dioxide and leaves our body through our lungs by exhaling when breathing, The remaining 16% are transformed into water and are naturally eliminated through sweat, urine and other body fluids.

These studies mentioned above showed that the lungs are the main organs that work when we lose weight, According to this, scientists emphasize the theory of weight loss through arduous exercise supporting it with a balanced diet.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *